Charge against linebacker Simpson reduced
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) - A felony charge against Alabama linebacker Juwan Simpson for possessing a stolen handgun was reduced to a misdemeanor.The Jefferson County Sheriff's Department reduced the charge Tuesday after determining the gun was worth less than the $500 threshold necessary for a charge of second-degree receiving stolen property, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.
The charge was reduced to third-degree receiving stolen property, a misdemeanor with a maximum one-year prison sentence.
Simpson, 21, was arrested Saturday on charges of receiving stolen property, possession of marijuana and carrying a pistol without a license after he was pulled over for driving erratically.
The gun had been reported stolen in Decatur.
Coach Mike Shula said it's too soon to decide on any possible disciplinary action against Simpson.
"If discipline is necessary, we will handle it internally and not through the media," he told The Tuscaloosa News. "We try to be fair and consistent with our discipline, but we will have accountability.
"We all make mistakes sometimes, but mistakes have consequences."
• Deep outfield makes Crawford expendable for Rays
• Early retirement: Roddick quits during opening match
• Heat push Pistons to the brink | Pistons are done
• Prado pays Barbaro visit, finds horse progressing well
• Tiger Woods says he's preparing for the U.S. Open
• Indians' Sauerbeck found hiding behind bushes, arrested
• Marbury reportedly says, 'I want to die a Knick'
• Minor league umpires end strike, ratify six-year deal
• Ukraine players allowed sex if they reach Cup semis
More News | Subscribe
Scout your favorite team! Get the 2006 Recruiting Guide and a full year of your favorite team's magazine with an Annual Total Access Pass.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL NEWS
• 2006 Preview: Cincinnati Bearcats
• Mother of boy who called play for Notre Dame dies
• Stay a while: UCF ties up O'Leary through 2015
• Georgia sophomore LB Ellerbe suspended three games
• Attorney: Indiana's Hardy innocent of battery charge
• Charge against Tide linebacker Simpson reduced
• Motor City Bowl, Big Ten extend agreement
• Spartan quarterback Natale to transfer to Rutgers
• New college football announcing crews for ABC & ESPN